Skip to main content

Housing Advice Form


What to do if you're homeless or threatened with homelessness

Housing advice and preventing homelessness

West Lindsey District Council aim to prevent homelessness where it is possible.  We deal with a range of issues and are available to provide advice about housing, homelessness, and what can be done to prevent homelessness. We suggest what to do, and who to contact.

Our housing options and homelessness service

The Home Choices team can assist people into private rented accommodation, negotiate with landlords, refer to support services if needed as well as manage the Choice Based Lettings system.

The council will provide a Personalised Housing Plan for all applicants either homeless or at risk of homelessness within 56 days.  The plan will attempt to look towards sustaining or securing accommodation for all applicants who approach the service. 

We will:

  • try to help prevent you becoming homeless 
  • ask you to complete and sign a form, and provide us with relevant information and supporting documents
  • talk to other people if necessary (for example, relatives, your landlord, or your GP)

To apply for advice please contact us on 01427 676676 or complete an online assessment form below. If it's out of hours please call 01427 613960.

What the council will investigate?

When assessing how the council can help we have to consider a number of tests. These include:

  • eligible for assistance (this is about whether you usually live in UK, your nationality, and your immigration status)
  • homeless, or threatened with homelessness in 56 days
  • in priority need (this will depend on your circumstances, for example, how old you are and who is in your household)
  • intentionally homeless (this is about what you have or haven't done that has caused your homelessness; for example, if you failed to pay rent or mortgage when you could afford to, or moved out of a property when you could have stayed there)


  • do you have a local connection within West Lindsey


If you disagree with our decision, you have the right to ask for a review.

You can get independent advice from organisations such as Shelter and CAB

Rough sleepers

If you are rough sleeping or are aware of a rough sleeper, please call P3 Street Outreach on 0808 281 0280 or on [email protected] or please visit the StreetLink website or call 0300 500 0914 to report your concern. Links can be made with local services through this route. 

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can be physical, emotional, financial, sexual or any combination.  West Lindsey District Council is here to help any person who feels they are suffering from any form of Domestic Abuse.  We can look at a number of options which can include links to specialist support providers.

If you feel you cannot stay in your home, or want to know more about your housing options, we can advise you.   To contact our home choices team please phone 01427 676676.

For help 24 hours a day, you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.  West Lincolnshire Domestic Abuse service is also available on or ring 01522 510041

If the situation is not an emergency but you need to call the police, please phone 101.

If you, or anyone else, is at immediate risk of harm, phone the police on 999.

Domestic abuse disclosure (Clare's Law)

If you're in a relationship and you're concerned that your partner may be abusive towards you, you can ask the police to disclose information about the individual. You can also ask for information if you're concerned about someone else, such as a family member.

For more info please visit the Lincolnshire Police website